Us

Us

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Friday the thirteenth

Yes it was! Friday the 13th started off like every other day of the world. The dog awakened us at 4:30 a.m. so she could be let outside and fed. Our morning at home was very routine and we arrived safely at work. I completed my early morning work chores and things were still great. Then I had to make a personal telephone call. You see, in Thursday's mail we received a letter from M.D. Anderson informing us that we were being turned over to collection for an unpaid bill from my February 2007 surgery down there. I was way less than happy about that because I've been working on that for months. In my usual style I have kept every piece of paper associated with the bill and have meticulous notes regarding all of my telephone conversations with the billing office at M.D. Anderson and with BCBS of Texas. So, at 7:30 sharp I called the billing office. I was fortunate enough to be answered by the same woman that I spoke with on 4/8/08 who had me fax everything to her and told me that she would take care of everything. "Do not worry Mrs. Hoover, you won't owe anything." Well, today I explained the whole situation to her again. "You are right Mrs. Hoover, you don't owe anything and I'll turn this over to our Recovery Department." Just between you and me, I have no confidence in that and I'm just waiting to get the call from collection! Ho hum, the day at work proceeded wildly as my boss raced around like a chicken with his head cut off. I quietly attended to my menial little tasks. Bruce and I enjoyed a tasty chimichanga for lunch at the Mexican restaurant next door. Ho hum, more work and finally we were ready for the weekend. Bruce seemed a little strained when he got in the car but didn't say anything on the ride home so I thought it was my imagination. NOPE. We got home and we both fell asleep while watching the evening news- he on the living room floor and me on the couch. When I woke up he says to me, "I received an interesting call at work right before I left." To which I replied, "And what was that?" Well, it would seem that there was some "misunderstanding" with a dock company down at the lake and one of the companies moved our dock without approval or without us knowing anything about it. Aren't we lucky! Monday Bruce had talked to this dock company about moving our dock but their price was outrageous so he told them he wasn't paying that much. He thought that was the end of the deal. He went about his business and found someone else to do work to the slip that would allow him to get the boat on the lift properly and get the boat completely under the dock. That work was completed and Bruce agreed to pay the bill. Then dock company #1 went and moved the lift (doing exactly what Bruce had talked about before he told them their estimate was tood high) but charged us less than originally quoted so they figured we would be happy. Because it was the same company that did the original work to convert the lift from a "V" hull to a pontoon, they had our credit card and charged it and then called Bruce and told him our lift was ready for use. I was NOT happy because now we've paid two people to do work that I didn't want to have to pay for in the first place. I told Bruce I was calling the credit card company to stop payment but he said that because the work was done, he was paying them. Isn't he nice? Now it was time for a hair consultation and style. You see, I've been going around looking like Gizelda for quite some time trying to get a decent haircut. I had decided I would try the young lady that does Amy's hair because she always does a great job with Amy. As I was driving over there I was telling myself that the dock deal was fine and that it is only money. After all we are working so it's no big deal. I arrive and meet the young woman and we proceed. I tell her what I want and the last thing I say is that I just want a nice style and NOT TOO SHORT. She worked on my hair for an hour. Well, I have a style - a VERY SHORT style. I went over to show Amy and she had a look of surprise on her face and the first thing she said was, "Do you like it?" I said yes and she agreed. I came home and Bruce had the same look of surprise and said, "It's cute and SHORT!". At this point I decided to feel my head. YIKES - I have no hair. Snookie, I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours! The day didn't end there. When I arrived at home I was thinking that we wouldl go get a nice dinner and a glass of wine and just end this stupid day. Bruce was working on all of his mother's paperwork and was really grieving the loss of both of his parents and was quite overwhelmed. Instead of trying to console him like a good wife would do I WENT TO BED!! Today is Saturday and the dog again started my day at 4:30 so I'm sitting in the living room typing away. I'm so glad it is the 14th now and not still the 13th! I'm staying in bed on the next Friday the 13th!

3 comments:

Snookie said...

YOU first!

BUD AND SHELLEY said...

WHAT A HELL OF A DAY FOR YOU TWO! IM GLAD ITS OVER TOO!!! MISS YOU AND THINK OF YOU OFTEN.

LaVon Baker said...

My condolences, sweetie. This morning, Saturday, as I was typing something, I turned to Don and said, "Yesterday was the 13th?" To which he correctly answered, "yes."
The day slipped right by me. And you're saying, "I'm so happy for you." LOL
Love ya!
Give your sweet hubby a hug for us.