Us

Us

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Charleston, SC March 24, 2009

A day in Charleston, South Carolina.
Today we toured Ft. Moultre near Charleston. This fort was used from the revolutionary war through 1947.
Big guns!
Radio room!
The battery!
Hmmm, how does this work?
Charleston, SC is a beautiful old city with great looking houses. These are all along the water front in historic Charleston.
Rainbow houses named because of the colors that were added in the 50's.
Great porches!
Next we toured Drayton Hall which is the oldest preserved plantation house in America that is open to the public. After seven generations, two great wars, and numerous hurricanes and earthquakes, the main house of this house remains in nearly original contition. This house was built when George Washington was 6 years old! That is well before the time that most of associate with plantations. The construction of the Drayton Hall plantation house began i 1738 and was completed after four years of construction by European craftsmen and African American slave craftsmen and laborers. Today, its Georgian-Palladian architecture represents the oldest surviving example of its kind in the American South. Our 80-year old guide has been associated with this project for 56 years.
Tonight we ate at Hyman's Seafood in Charleston. First we tried boiled peanuts. Believe it or not, we actually liked them. They tasted like kidney beans. Next was fried green tomatoes. They were also yummy. I don't know how the tomatoes stay so nice while they are being fried.
Bruce had fried flounder.
I had crab cakes and mac and cheese. Can you spell blocked arteries??
Bruce ate the WHOLE thing!!
Hyman's seafood hires staff based on this motto:
The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. the remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string, we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you000we are in charge of our ATTITUDES. Author of "Attitude" Chuck Swindoll. AMEN!

3 comments:

Mrs. Monty said...

Good pictures!! But I'm glad you liked the boiled peanuts, I sure don't like them. Have safe travel back home....

BUD AND SHELLEY said...

boiled peanuts! i like the Cajun ones
also i loved the attitude thing i will try to remember that...
safe travels

Lisa said...

Hey, i was checking your blog for any virus, and now looking result's can say that i'am shocked!
Please, you must visit our online scaner, probably, anybody was hack you blog.
Check it here